Gym vs Group Classes
Hello everyone! In today’s post I’m going to be going over the positives and negatives with going to the gym versus going to a group class! And to conclude, I will say which I prefer!
People use both methods of exercise and use a combination of both, and some only use one or the other. I am of the latter group. I enjoy one of these SO MUCH MORE than the other, and really I wouldn’t be found doing one of these!
Can you guess which one I love yet?
So here it goes, going to the GYM vs going to a GROUP CLASS.
- You can do your own thing!
- You can listen to your own music – provided you own your own earphones!
- You can take your time or you can be as quick as you want!
- You can use loads of different machines which you can’t necessarily use in group classes.
- More flexible – you can go whenever you want instead of being tied to the time of a class.
- If you’re new to exercise, it can be quite intimidating.
- Again, if you’re new to exercise, you might not know exactly what to do/how to do certain exercises.
- It’s easy to get bored – especially if you’re not sure what you’re doing!
- If you go at peak times, the machines you want may not be available.
- Sweat stains on machines… need I say more?
- Crappy radio music – if you haven’t got your headphones!
- An instructor will direct you the whole way through the class!
- Great for newbies as you are introduced to so many new exercises!
- You can choose anything from Yoga, to Zumba, to BodyPump – there’s something for everyone!
- Everybody motivates each other – you’re not struggling on your own!
- The instructor is there to answer any questions or advise you on how to do certain exercises if you’re struggling!
- Time flies! Suddenly you reach the end of the class and you didn’t even realise!
- Great music!
- You learn new exercises that you might not have thought about on your own!
- If you don’t like the music, you’re a bit stuck.
- If you suddenly realise the class is not for you, it’s a bit hard to suddenly walk out!
- Waiting lists – especially if it’s for your favourite class!
- Finding classes that fit into your schedule can be difficult some weeks!
To be honest I can’t really think of any more negatives… just because I LOVE GROUP CLASSES so much!
I’m terrible at going to the gym – I get bored easily, and I end up just faffing about! At least with a group class, you go in, you do the class and then it ends!
So I think it’s pretty clear that I prefer group classes… and honestly? I’ve given up just going to the gym!
It is so important to find things you enjoy, and that is exactly what I’ve done! I’ve found what works for me and I’m going to stick to it!
I hope this has helped anyone who is starting out at exercise, and maybe needed an idea of where to start! And I’m not saying the gym isn’t for everyone because there are plenty of people who are the complete opposite to me! My boyfriend for one much prefers going to the gym and doing his own thing, whereas I need that extra guidance and support that you get from a group class! Basically I just need someone to shout at me when I start to lag!
I suggest you try both and you will soon find out which one works best for you!
If you liked this post, please like, share and comment below!
Which do you prefer? The gym or group classes? I’d love to know!